[Therion] symbol-show fixed points / point text

Bruce bruce at tomo.co.nz
Sun Nov 27 10:02:09 CET 2011

Ben

Feels like a long time ago, although I have not resolved the issues I was
having.  Keep finding too much new cave.

So my quick initial thoughts only for now, preceded by a longer than
intended dissertation on how I think various station and leg properties
relate.

We may have had a slight difference in understanding of the terminology and
concepts.

Station properties

In my old posts that you copied into your message, I was thinking of 'fixed'
stations as a station that is located by giving it coordinates with the fix
statement (from within in a survey, not scrap), like this;

    fix 804 2503213 6020327  649 4 4 12

            station 804 "hole beside track, rocks rumble down" entrance \

             continuation attr who "Oz, Deb, Greg" attr what pit attr
priority medium attr ref centreline2011.02.19 \

             not explored

In the context in which my original question was asked, such points do not
usually have survey shots attached to them as usually they are features in a
karst area, not caves, but some do.  Obviously these are unlikely to be
underground stations (but they might be sometimes, say by radio location).
Knowledge about their coordinates usually comes from a gps.  From Therions
perspective their locations are 'fixed' in space (with a bit of fuzzyness if
you add the standard deviations as I have above).

Stations that are not fixed in this manner depend on the calculation of the
survey network to determine their location in space.

By fixed, you are referring in your post generally to stations in the cave
that have some means of future identification (a label, a cairn, a drill
hole).

The 'mark' statement sets these characteristics of the station(s) -ie is it
fixed or painted, or is it temporary (ephemeral, no one can find it for sure
10 minutes later).

'Mark' can be a stand alone statement or it can specify the particular
stations it applies to.

Eg Near the start of all my surveys I include;

   mark temporary   #makes sure the default is explicitly set for all the
stations in the survey legs that follow.

and then at the end of all the shots I include something like;

    mark 1 27 32 48 57 72 fixed

This ensures it is always very easy to grab a list of all the 'mark fixed'
stations, because they are defined in one place (for each individual
survey).

Stations can also have 'flags', and they are set using;

station <stn> "some words that appear in Loch and I wish could be made to
appear in pdfs selectively" <none, one or more flags>

Station flags can be entrance, continuation, sink, dig, air-draught etc

As I have described above, these are all how you would define them in a
centerline (ie part of a survey, not part of a map object).

Alternatively in scrap drawings you can override the 'mark' specified for a
station in the centerline.  Perhaps confusingly, it is called '-subtype' and
not '-mark'.  (An opportunity for a future feature, synonym option for
station -mark = -subtype)

The mark properties described above are the properties that the symbol-show
points that you have enumerated in your post refer to.

I don't think you can specify the continuation flag to stations from within
scraps.  You can however use points independent of stations;

point continuation .with similar syntax to what you would use for the
stations (as in example above) with flag continuation set.

See http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php?id=drawingchecklist#points and
look for 'continuation'.

Survey leg properties

'Flags' also sets characteristics of the survey leg(s) but the allowable
flags are different to those used for stations-ie Are they surface,
approximate, duplicate, splay?

'Flags' for shots can be set up in a survey as a stand alone statement, and
all stations and legs defined below will inherit those characteristics.

So quite often it will be like this;

data normal etc

flags surface

<some surface shots>

flags not surface

<underground shots>

I don't think these can be set or modified in the scraps.

So the above does not solve your problem nor mine, but it should make
clearer the differences and similarities about what we are each trying to
achieve.  While we are wanting to isolate or identify different types of
station property (you the mark, me the fixity in space) I think the solution
to both these will be the same - better control of point symbol display and
any associated text.

The method you have used to isolate the 'mark fixed' and continuations seems
overly complicated, but I guess it could be an interim workaround to gaining
better control of how the stations are displayed in pdfs generally.

As far as continuations go, I just use the metapost   def
p_continuation(expr pos,theta,sc,al) = ...etc and then change nothing else,
the continuation text is added to the map with all the other detail and
labels.  If I wanted to hide all passage detail to emphasize the
continuations as you have done,  I would;

 symbol-hide group all
 symbol-show line wall # to display the cave itself
 symbol-show point flag:continuation

(or better, see LayoutScale10000 and LayoutScale10000 in the
layoutscales.txt file at
http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php?id=templates#general_setup to get a
better description of the control you can get)

This way you could probably get exactly the same effect as in the example
you posted, but not have to make a Map_Continuations . Should be easier just
to use a layout.

The scrap -stations option you highlighted looks like one I've missed.
Thanks, I'll think about whether that can help me!

Bruce

  _____