[Therion] Clino units

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jan 27 04:25:22 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 07:07:33PM +0000, Andrew Atkinson wrote:
> The problem encountered is it works on the units of zero as horizontal
> and works mathematically, so -10 in caver speak is 350 in total station.
>
> When this it put into therion (and by association I assume survex) you
> get an out of range error.
>
> gradient reading out of range -- 359

Actually Survex will issue a warning but process this correctly (i.e. as
if you'd written -1).

> Okay I have solved this by converting all the down ones, but it would be
> good if Therion could use this convention. maybe generally giving a
> warning that can be suppressed for individual centrelines as a real
> icing feature?

Perhaps generalising this a bit would be more useful - we could allow
the range of valid readings for any instrument to be specified.  For
your total station you'd put 0 to 360 (or is it 0 to 90 and 270 to 360?)

But also if your tape is 30m long, then any reading above 30m is
suspect.  Distos seem to have a minimum range (about 33cm for mine it
seems) as well as a maximum (200m apparently, though you might want to
set the warning limit to something lower there).

Cheers,
    Olly