[Therion] FW: Under and over (maps)

Bruce dangle at tomo.co.nz
Fri Sep 17 11:43:23 CEST 2010

> Martins example:
>
> map CJ_layers.map
> CJ_1layer.map
> break
> CJ_2layer.map
> break
> CJ_3layer.map
> endmap
>
>etc

I like that general concept Martin, pretty much what I was hoping to end up
with, including the likes of the preview statements in the detail maps. Nice
& clean. So far it will play nicely with Maps and with Atlas outputs which
is the first requirement.

The next challenge is to allow for the optional offsetting of parts of the
map by just commenting or uncommenting a line or two.  (Depending on the
particular output requirement maps need to be both 'with-offsets' and
'without-offsets', but atlas are almost always better without offsets,
because by default each map, by the magic of therion, gets it's own chapter
and these are linked 'up & down levels' with hyperlinks).

And a further challenge is how best to incorporate sections.  Are they best
in a separate standalone map, or are they best sprinkled over the various
plan maps, and simply turned on or off in bulk with symbol-hide, dependant
on scale, or individually with -visibility off?  Currently my datasets are a
bit chaotic in this respect.

Sorry Andrew, I don't have any better ideas for intertwined caves.  With a
good 'map system' like what I'm looking for it should be quite easy to
rearrange the details of each map as the cave discoveries progress.  I'm
finding the concept of where one cave starts and another stops to be quite
academic and changeable.  Prejudices based on which passage was discovered
from which known 'cave' are often blown apart by the speleo-morphology that
becomes apparent once 'most of the discoveries' are made.

I do agree though, it would be nice if Therion automatically knew which part
of each map to draw 'over' or 'under' based on the survey station
elevations!