[Therion] example data-georeferencing

Wolfgang Zillig wolfgang.zillig at web.de
Thu Sep 16 13:51:44 CEST 2010

  Hi Dan,

first of all you have to make the decision to use either local or global
reference system. You can not mix them.

As you are planning to use GIS data I would recommend to use global
coordinate systems. The advantages are:
- you can mix coordinates in different coordinate systems
- you can choose the output coordinate system in therion
- therion can calculate the magnetic declination (if you specify the
date whem the readings were done)

What you need to do is:
- you need a rectangular coordinate system (ie UTM,...) (not good is for
instance lat-long)

- in your measurement data you have to specify the coordinate system
(command "cs"):
   survey Fahrstuhlschachthoehle
     centreline
       date 2009.11.07
      cs UTM33
       fix 2.20 0275873 5287674 1833

- you have also to specify the coordinate system in your surface definition:
   surface # Deklaration des Geländemodells
   # coordinate system
   cs EPSG:31468
   grid 4500500 5284700 10 10 100 100 #  grid x_Minimum y_Minimum x_res
y_res n_col n_row
   # calibrated surface texture
   bitmap ./dop.jpg [0 0 4500500 5284700 5000 5000 4501500 5285700]
   #
   # Height matrix
   1255.32    1259.45    1262.32

you can also find some more information on how to build 3D models here:
http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php?id=ifl

Best regards
Wolfgang

PS: you can also use "cs" in your thconfig file (in case to produce
output in different coordinate systems)