[Therion] FW: Source and Select

Bruce dangle at tomo.co.nz
Wed Nov 17 09:26:49 CET 2010

OK, I tried it.
Selected a map containing a few caves, and a single survey, a small part of
one of those caves in one of my datasets.  The 2d pdf map produced a cave
and reported 12km and the lists and 3d model in the same thconfig run
reported a single survey of 45m.

I see now it has always been this way, but was not what I had assumed for
all these years. (One can never read the Therion book too carefully).

It also explains the discrepancy in reported cave lengths between 2d pdf
maps and the list outputs.  If there are no scraps for a short length of
survey, then the 2d pdf map does not report that portion of the cave length.

This means that, assuming the surveys and maps are decoupled as is one of
the supposed advantages of Therion (and I agree it is), it is therefore NOT
usually possible to get a comprehensive set of outputs (2d pdfs, 3d models,
lists of caves, continuations and surveys) that relate to a particular
discrete SUBset of data (It is however possible to get these for the ENTIRE
dataset at any level, but if the global effect of loop closures is to be
accounted for at a lower level the outputs are unlikely to represent a
consistent portion of the cave-unless map objects and surveys join at the
same places).

I agree Andrew, it would be good to select a map object and have all types
of output refer to drawings and centrelines contained in that map object.
It is the behaviour I was incorrectly assuming, and the inevitable
discrepancies I had been putting down to bugs either in Therion or my
haphazard data organisation.
The reverse currently happens when a survey is selected I think. Ie all
scraps are exported for selected surveys.  This does not allow passage
previews and offsets though.

Martin, Stacho,
Should/could Therion produce such synchronised outputs where maps are
selected, or should the users have to make the boundaries of their map
objects match survey junctions at key locations to enable them to get
consistency between map based outputs and survey based outputs?  The later,
status quo, is workable, but seems to make it difficult for the user and
make interpretation of output statistics quite onerous.

So if I were to suggest a specific change it would be that when maps are
selected, only data relating to survey legs contained within selected maps
would be exported.

Or am I missing something?
Comments?

Regards