[Therion] Colours in area fill patterns replaced with black

Duncan Collis duncan.collis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 10:06:09 CET 2010

Thanks, Martin!

> Actually it is a feature. Patterns are uncoloured now (see PDF
> reference for Uncolored tiling patterns) to allow the application of
> symbol-color command on patterns.
>
> Now you need to define just the shape of all symbols in Metapost and
> color of any symbol in layout, which is much more flexible. It
> wouldn't work for patterns consisting of more than one colour, but
> nobody has complained so far.

OK, makes sense (although according to the manual symbol-color is a
new command in 5.3, while as far as I can tell, pattern fills have
been black-only since 5.2.11).  Anyway, the manual specifies:

symbol-colo[u]r <point/line/area/group/special> <symbol-type> <colour>

so in my test piece I tried:

symbol-color area u:test [1.0 0 0]

and I get the following error message:

unknown symbol specification -- area u:test

What am I doing wrong?

Duncan