[Therion] Magazine printing of surveys from Therion

Martin Budaj m.budaj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 14:12:37 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Andrew Atkinson <andrew at wotcc.org.uk> wrote:
> 1
> My problem was that if I'm using colour on a page, I often use a tinted
> background and/or run bits of survey across a photo corner or something (or
> even over a graphic) as part of my layout. But if there is transparency in
> the fill, I can't do that. What's needed is for no transparency to be used
> in 'normal' fills = all passages, but instead a solid colour. For overlying
> bits, transparency is fine for the upper section, but not the lower.
>
> Transparency for all 'non cave' bits = the background *should* be
> transparent of course.

> think that point 1 in your mail to the therion group might mislead some -
> this factor of transparency must be one that is under the control of the
> person creating the file (the choice of using transparency or a solid colour)
> and not a restriction of the package. I suspect it is something that is easy
> to do to create an effect and, reasonably, it is therefore done ...

It is possible to turn transparency feature completely off using
'transparency off' in layout. If the transparency is on, there is a
nontrasparent white fill below all passages to eliminate combining
effects with coloured background (if I remember correctly, the white
fill is omitted if 'color map-bg' is white in current therion).

> 2
> Another oddity - there seemed to be a lot of non-stroked detail/bits way off
> the passages/survey that don't show up but are selectable. Doesn't seem to
> affect anything and I can't even see them, but only spot that *something* is
> there when trying to select the image. Odd - not a problem (as far as I
> know) but as this is a report on what happens here, I thought I'd mention
> it.

This is a feature, lot of objects are clipped by passage walls. They
are not displayed, although present in the file.

> 3a (svg with walls and lables only, no passage fill colour)
>
> I can change the line weight
> okay, but as I hit as a problem before when working on files like this, the
> paths don't seem to stay as a path (text, for example, aren't words but just

Text along a path should be the only exception -- it is broken to
letters in MetaPost so that Therion has more control about placement
of letters.

> single letters) and I can't figure out how to do a fill to add colour to the
> passage content. That is, if there is a colour there, I'm pretty sure I can
> change it but I can't select enough to actually add a fill in the first
> place.

It can be really tricky to find a proper object.

> 3b (svg with only cross section switched off)
> The detailed view won't open correctly in Illustrator - there are warnings
> about too many nested groups (surprising considering the complexity of the
> .svg files for the Three Counties that are in the next issue, which breezed
> through) and that it might not look correct, then it opens with most of the
> content missing (the only bit that appears fully intact is at the extreme
> bottom and only for a few metres). Needed for this I think/suspect: some
> work in flattening/decreasing grouping in the original before creating the
> .svg, but I don't have experience of the creating package (nor any other
> vector software).

You could decrease the number of groups by turning 'layers' and
'transparency' off in layout. Maps are really complex and you cannot
avoid groups completely.

Hope this helps,
Martin