[Therion] Paperless Cave Survey with DistoX, PocketTopo and Therion

Martin Lüthi luethi at vaw.baug.ethz.ch
Sat Jan 30 22:24:49 CET 2010

Hi Bruce

At Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:19:37 +1300,
Bruce wrote:
> This is just to let you know that it would seem that all the problems are
> resolved, and it is now our preferred surveying device.  It took us a while,
> but we did our first completely paperless cave survey a couple of weeks ago
> (after a few above ground practice runs).  The finished map was done by
> lunchtime the next day, with minimal effort compared to an equivalent 'paper
> survey'.  A bit more time is spent sketching in the cave, but much more
> detail tends to be collected, and it would appear to be more accurate.

Just wondering: how do you get the data from DistoX into Therion? I was not
very successful since the *.top files are not easy to parse, and apparently
not ducumented. What is exported for Therion is just a sketch, but it would be
nice to have *.th files produeced from *.top files directly.

I had contacted Beat about that, but never got an answer.

So my question are:
o How do you export DistoX data to Therion?
o Does anybody have a documentation on the *.top format, or source code to
  read it?

Thanks, Martin