[Therion] pdfTK for mix'n'match Therion Output

Bruce Mutton bruce.mutton at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 7 06:48:08 CEST 2008

Thanks Olly

pdftk.exe streamlines the process quite a bit, and makes it repeatable.

I made myself a couple of batch files to ease the process, attached.  They
work on DOS (Windows) OS machines.

Nice Features

Pdf pages can be combined and rearranged in almost any combination

The meta-data from any of the input files can be copied into the new output
file semi-automatically.

Batch processing, so, like Therion, can reproduce a new version of the map
without having to remember so many finishing touches.

The hyperlinks are preserved reliably (at least so far).

Missing Features

Does not rotate (individual or all) pages

Does not preserve bookmarks (Outlining) from the input files to the output
file.

Another Observation

Pdftk removes the named 'destinations' that Therion produced output pdf file
hyperlinks use, and replaces them with hyperlinks that use page numbers.

This works fine for any set of documents processed as a single run in pdftk,
but if multiple runs are required to produce a merged/meshed document, then
the hyperlinks remain, but they lose the location they are to jump to.  If
this is taken into account it turns out (for me anyway) that pdftk is more
reliable and faster than Acrobat 6.

Regards