[Therion] Hopefully a bunch of new users; Optimum Data Managment

luethi at vaw.baug.ethz.ch luethi at vaw.baug.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 16 10:28:51 CEST 2008

Bruce Mutton writes:
 > You've lost me. I'm familiar with subversion, and I use it from time to time
 > for the greater good. Don't know what cvs is, and that leads me to suspect
 > we're talking about a different type of subversion.  Perhaps it is some form
 > of web based storage and data management?

CVS is the ancestor of subversion, and there is no reason to use it for a new
project. Frankly, I would go with a distributed version control system, such
as Mercurial (hg) or bazaar.

 > My friend Mike and I are working on some drawings collaboratively, and we
 > synchronize our data manually.  Essentially we agree who, at any one time
 > has the 'master' version of a particular set of files.  It works reasonably
 > well, and would theoretically work for multiple users, admittedly with a
 > high margin of error.

There is always diff and graphicals frontends to the help. However, using a
version control system always makes sense, even if you are the only user.

If you are using Emacs to edit Therion files, version control integration
comes for free (as is the case with many other editors).

Best, Martin