[Therion] [CaveDiggers] Questionnaire: Use of Digital Survey Tools in Cave Surveying

Aaron Bird wvcaveman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 23:40:07 CEST 2008

Hi All,

This is a questionnaire on use of digital survey tools in cave
surveying:
http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=yl5xhmekxnowc52464237

Based on the efforts of many cavers over the past few decades, digital
survey tools have seen increasing use for underground surveying. A
number of
cavers have been working in this area for some time. For example, in the
1980s Frank Reid evaluated the use of a LIDAR device for positioning
caves
and in 1986 John Ganter wrote on use of a "Petro-Sonde" for finding
passages
in a Texas cave from the surface.  Through the 1990s, cave-mapping
software
became more and more sophisticated: see work by David Mckenzie, Luc Le
Blanc, Stacho Mudrak, Martin Budaj, Gary Petrie, Larry Fish, and many
more.Radio-location techniques were practiced and perfected by Frank
Reid, Brian
Pease, and others. Impressive 3D laser-mapping tools were used by
expeditions to generate multiple and realistic cross-sections of Florida
sinkholes. Many, including Mark Passerby, have worked extensively on the
process of using advanced/digital survey tools and have recommended
procedures for effectively doing so. Others, like Phil Underwood
(Shetland
Attack Pony), have developed cave-specific surveying tools. Recently,
Aaron
Addison and Lynn Brucker have evaluated and used the Impulse and
Attack Pony
digital survey devices and written about their experiences. There are
many
others who have used high-tech tools for underground cave surveying.
However, through all this use of high-tech equipment, most surveyors
have
continued to rely on the tried and true Suunto compass/clinometer and a
fiberglass survey tape.

Some feel that this may change someday, and we're wondering if it isn't
already happening. So, we're trying to determine how prevalent the
use of
digital survey instruments is in current cave surveying. If you could,
please take a couple of minutes to fill out this short questionnaire on
digital survey tools. The results of this questionnaire will be
shared in a
comprehensive presentation on digital survey tools at the 2008 NSS
Convention in Lake City, Florida, USA in August 2008 and in a paper
to be
distributed after the NSS convention. We hope you will take just a
minute to
fill out the questionnaire and share your experience and feedback on
cave
surveying.

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=yl5xhmekxnowc52464237

Finally, we're not subscribed to all of the caving-related email
groups so
please forward the URL as you are able.

thanks!
Aaron Bird