[Therion] labelling grids (and label orientation)

Martin Budaj m.budaj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 10:28:53 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Stacho Mudrak <s.m at group-s.sk> wrote:
> >  I wonder if the behaviour could be changed so that the co-ords are plotted
>  >  along the PAGE outline rather than along the GRID outline.  This way they
>  >  would be plotted regardless of the overlap and rotate values.
>
>  It is not yet possible - but we will add it to the TODO list.
>
>  Labeling grid with coordinates is currently quite preliminary feature.
>  User has very limited control over it. This functionality needs to be
>  enhanced a lot including adding more user control and also showing
>  grid coordinates in the atlas page border also.

Printing coordinates along the border is straightforward if the grid
is plotted using continuous lines and not too much rotated, like
parallels and meridians in the school atlas. But there are problems if
the grid is plotted using small crosses (default in therion) -- how
the intersection of grid and page border should be indicated if no
cross lies accidentaly just on the border? Should some additional
cross or line be added?

> > Also, perhaps rather than plotting co-ordinate pairs on the east-west grids,
> > maybe plotting the eastings on the north-south grids and the northings on
> > the east-west grids would be more intuitive for users of the map.

What to do if the grid is substantially rotated, e.g. by 45 or 135
degrees? You would not be able to distinguish which coordiante belongs
to which grid line (see below ascii illustration of grid rotated by 45
degrees).

10<

          100      200

Martin