[Therion] Creating a catalog of Therion symbols

Mike Lake mikel at speleonics.com.au
Fri Mar 9 14:58:20 CET 2007

Hi all

I am trying to work out the best way to produce a catalog of all the
supported Therion symbols. I'd like to do this directly from the Metapost
source directory 'therion/mpost' so that it can be created automatically
and therefore kept up to date. (maybe via the Makefile in that directory)

What would be nice would be to produce catalogs of UIS, SKBB, ASF and US
separately as well. I think a catalog of the symbols would be an
excellent appendix to the Therion Book.

So far I have done few symbols by copying and pasting bits of the
Therion macros, thPoint, thArea etc files into a new mpost file. But this just
duplicates what is in the source files.

My idea was to have a metapost file that inputs the therion macros i.e.
inputs therion.mp and then for each definition use appropriate
parameters such as scale, rotation, position etc.

File: therion/mpost/test.mp

  Scale:=1.0

  input therion.mp

  % Testing UIS symbols
  % p_stalactite_UIS(expr pos,theta,sc,al);
  beginfig(1000);
  p_stalactite_UIS( (1.0,4.0), 0, 1, (0,0) );
  endfig;

However when I run this (mpost test.mp) I get many errors still.

mpost$ mpost test.mp
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.5.4)
(test.mp (therion.mp
>> 0
! Improper `:=' will be changed to `='.
l.41 tracingstats:=
1;
? r
OK, entering nonstopmode...
! Inconsistent equation (off by 1).
<to be read again>
;
l.41 tracingstats:=1;

(thPoint.mp)
(thLine.mp)
(thArea.mp
[4001] [4002] [4003] [4004] [4005] [4006] [4007])
(thText.mp)
(thSpecial.mp)
(thTrans.mp)
) [1000])
! Emergency
stop.
<*> test.mp

8 output files written: test.1000 ..  test.4007
mpost$

Some of these output files are actually the EPSF-3.0 postscrip files and
view fine in GhostView!

I need some help with a minimal example of a file that I can process
(with mpost or latex) which includes a few symbols but generated just from the code in
therion/mpost.

What might be the best way to do this that is useful to all of us?

Mike
--
Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.