[Therion] Cave Overlays on Google Maps Web Sites

Stacho Mudrak s.m at group-s.sk
Tue Jan 30 14:56:29 CET 2007

Quoting Bill Chadwick <W.CHADWICK at sky.com>:
> As this is quite a nice way of presenting cave surveys, perhaps a Google
> tile generator would be a good add on for Therion. The advantage of building
> the renderer into Therion would be that the overlay could be drawn
> separately for each Google Zoom level to achieve a good line width and text
> size.

Hmmm. Just one problem. Therion it self does not have any build-in
bitmap generator. All maps are generated as vector PDF. And generation
of bitmaps from PDF is very tricky (currently only Acrobat reader is
able to render these PDF files 100% correct).

> I am well informed in the areas of coordinate systems and map projections
> and able to program in C++. With some guidance I might be able to help with
> the coding of such an extension.

I have tried to generate Google Earth's KML files from therion and it
seems to work (scrap outlines for maps, centerline for model, try
latest developement snapshot). All you need is to have georeferenced
cave data (see "Coordinate Systems" in thbook). Then just

export model -fmt kml

will generate .kml file readable by Google Earth.

If somebody will create a good rasterizer script for PDF files
generated by therion (using ghostscript or acroread), there is no
problem for us to add export of long-lat coordinates together with PDF
file to be used by this script.

S.