[Therion] 0.4.0 ...

Ladislav Blazek lblazek at speleo.cz
Sat Dec 30 10:43:56 CET 2006

On 2006-10-08 21:16 +0100, Wookey wrote:

> I am working on it in svn://wookware.org/therion
>
> We should probably try and rationlise matters so we don't have 3
> different therion repositories. This one for the debian packaging,
> philip's for his cmake and loch work and the official one stacho uses
> at gnu.org. Currently merging a new upstream tarball into my svn
> version is a pain. I need to sort that out.
>
> Wookey
> --
> Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel +44 (0) 1223 811679
> work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/

I am playing with decentralized version control system - bazaar-ng - now
and I really like it. I think if some VCS is REALLY NEEDED then this
solution is better then SVN. See http://bazaar-vcs.org/

Advantages:

- easy branching and tracking main tree
- you don't need to be connected to some central server to commit changes
to your local branch. Especially this is very usefull because Stacho and
Martin cannot use SVN or CVS
- braches can be published over FTP, FTPS protocol (you don't need any
special port opened on your firewall)
- braches can be downloaded over HTTP, FTP, FTPS protocol

How it can works:

1. one central repository with read-only therion mainline brach
2. each developer will have his own branch

bzr branch http://<existing branch> <own branch>

3. make your changes, add files, etc.

cd <own branch>
bzr status # shows all new or updated files
bzr add # if you added some new files
bzr commit -m "Commit info"

4. after commiting changes to your branch you can easy create revisions
bundle against mainline branch

cd <own branch>
bzr bundle-revisions --output <path/to/output file>

It will contains diff and all info about your commits needed for merge

4. You will send this bundle by mail to Stacho/Martin/Therion mailing list

5. Stacho or Martin can merge bundle to theirs freshly updated own braches
and test it. After commit they will again create bundle package against
mainline branch and upload this file to the server and then it will be
automatically merged to the mainline branch.

L.