[Therion] cross-section drawing

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 00:16:25 CET 2006

Thanx to Marco for his really useful therion by example (although none
of the pictures appear for me in the dillo browser - is this a feature
of the way the wiki works, or are they currently missing?)

I have started drawing cross-sections. It's incredibly tedious. I hope
I am missing some tricks to speed things up.

Drawing the x-sect line, point and outline is OK. But the part about
the scrap-scale is a real faff. My x-sects are drawn on the plan
alongside the cave, and their natural scale is 'the same as the plan'.
It would be nice if there was some way to specify the scale as 'like
scrap foo'. On non-graph paper it is very hard to determine the
correct 'real size'. Nothing in the drawing view shows me scale to
guestimate from. I had to go and run aven to get the length of a nearby
leg which had stations marked on the drawing, then compare that to the
x-sect size. This is why 'same scale as scrap foo' would be so useful.

The biggest problem is finding the corner-markers. Took me a little
while to realise they were only visible when the scrap line is
selected. But then on a large scan they are impossible to find. The
only way I could find them was click on a section point and note
co-ords, go back to the scrap line and type in the co=ords so that the
red marker appears over the section point and can be moved to the
top-right/bottom-left corner.

Especially when you have a load of xsects to do, all of which have the
same scale, some better way is needed than the above. How do others do
it?

I have added a para to Marco's doc on the wiki about this.

BTW I want to put this (marco's) doc into the Debian Therion package
as it is really useful. Can we generate HTML from the current wiki
version easily? (I think this may have been answered before - must
check the archive).

Wookey
--
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/