[therion] .ini files install

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Mar 21 09:21:12 CET 2005

Sorry to come in a bit late...

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:35:08PM +0100, Stacho Mudrak wrote:

>> If I add new setting to xtherion.ini file, if it will not be rewritten,
>> user will not see, that this setting is possible.

So you're talking about the case when a new option is added and the
default setting is added to the shipped configuration file?

It's particularly annoying to have your carefully tuned configuration
swept aside by an upgrade when the only reason is to add a few "do
nothing" lines to the default file.

This is one think I dislike about RPMs - the attitude that it's OK to
nuke my configuration files because you saved a backup is just
unhelpful.  I want my system to still work after an upgrade, not to have
to remember to go back and fix up heaps of configuration files.  Debian
at least asks you up front what you want to do if the shipped
configuration has changed and you modified it locally.  Not perfect, but
a lot more helpful.

I'd much rather regard the shipped xtherion.ini as documentation to
consult.  Or alternatively write a simple "xtherion.ini updater"
which checks which options are unused in the current xtherion.ini
and adds them with default settings.  Save a backup of the old one
in case the update goes wrong - *that* is what backups are for.

Cheers,
    Olly