[therion] string list

Roman Muñoz tatel at infonegocio.com
Sun Jan 23 18:52:19 CET 2005

Martin,

I understand how translating is a complex work. However, we are
considering to organize some survey stages and need good software for
it. I think therion is a serious candidate for many reasons. But we need
it (mostly) translated because:

First: obviously all the people needs get map output in their own
languages, I think texts_xx.txt files are just for that. Right?

Next, to have an untranslated user interface is one of the most scary
things to my friends. If translated, they can play quite easy, and,
being therion as good as really is, there is a probability for it to be
adopted. But, with untranslated user interface, no chance. Friends will
remain with Visual Topo, which is not bad software, and is translated.

Third, thbook is very good as reference book, but it is not a starter
guide IMHO. There was perhaps a year ago I see therion for the first
time, getting a quite pretty headhache and running away with the tail
between the legs. No offense intended. This time, I got it, but I'm
really missing a starter guide so I could play with my first cave
quickly.

Input commands: Yes this is a problem. Friends are used to put their
data, not to output commands. Language does not matter. Hopefully, to
get a centreline for a "normal" cave seems not to need a lot of
commands, so I was considering seriously to do some scripting work in
order to get spreadsheet data converted to .th files, at least for easy
caves. That mentioned (some days ago) import module would be
great. But I could always do the stage with only some few commands
and .th template files to explain how it works. Not so difficult.

Console messages: If all the rest works smoothly, I don't care so much
about them. May be am I making a mistake?

So, if output map is in spanish thanks to texts_es.txt, next step is to
get user interface translated too. I have map editor window
fully translated and working now. I made a string list  where file, line
number and old/new strings are listed. I tested map editor and it seems
to work OK. String list is not tested yet. I hope user interface will be
fully translated next week.

Newer versions of therion will probably change and may be this
translation will become useless for them, I understand it. But at
very least we will have one translated version to get people introduced
to therion. BTW, it *must* to work in windows, this is the nastiest
thing...

After this, I'll be ready to start writing that starter guide, expect to
get quite a lot of questions about therion tips, etc  ;-)  Only after this
I could think about translating thbook reference

Cheers,
Roman