arranging files for big systems

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 02:13:02 CET 2005

OK - now that I have a few non-trivial chunks of therion data to bring
together I have re-arranged everything in a big-cave way.

This has of course caused some problems.

I am documenting them here.

What I want to be able to do is produce a whole area map as well as smaller
maps of each cave in the area, and maybe parts of a cave, and keep related
data together,but only have it appear in one place. I know how to do
this in survex, using a directory for each major cave or area. That contains
an 'overview file' that is something like:

*survey terikan
*equate elevator.pt3.18b evening.25
*include elevator.svx

*equate river.40 goon.0
*inculde goon.svx
*end terikan

so connections between surveys are here, but not connections within surveys
(they are inside each .svx sub-file), and also connections (equates) are
grouped together with the relevant files.

So, I have an overall file for terikan in therion form but if I try to use
the above structure - i.e like this:

survey terikan
 map
  <scraplist>
 endmap

 input elevator.th2
 input goon.th2

 join <whwatever>

centreline
equate 0 at goon 40 at river
input goon.th

equate 25 at evening 18b at pt3.elevator
input elevator.th

endcentreline
endsurvey terikan

then I get an error:
therion: error -- terikan/terikan.th [72] -- not enough data readings
at the first line that is an 'input <something>.th'

The only way I can get it to work is by moving all the equates into one
block, wrapped in a centreline/endcentreline command

But for a big system this gives you a huge list of equates in one place and
ahuge list of inputs below - it'smuch nicer to have the equates in the file
next to the relevant inputs IMHO.

So questions:

1) is my preferred arrangement possible/permitted in therion? How do would
one do it?

2) Why do I get the error 'not enough data readings'? That seems to have very
little to do with the actual problem - it took me some time to work out how
to make it go away.

I have more questions about arranging scraps and submaps too, but those can
wait till another mail.

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK Tel +44 (0) 1223 811679
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/ play: http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/