[therion] Re: Help - my cave is inside-out

Martin Budaj m.b at speleo.sk
Thu Jan 6 11:19:37 CET 2005

Wookey wrote:

>> OK- at this point if I select the area then 3 of the lines surrounding the
>> area are highlighted, but not the others? Why is this? Is it a clue to the
>> problem or is the area highlighting just broken?

It's perhaps broken -- but that is a question for Stacho, who is on
holidays now.

>> Being able to click on the lines in the area control and have them
>> highlighted would make it much quicker to check an area. (at the oment you
>> have to search for their names, and after the first 3 you need to keep
>> scrolling the preview window). Someone add this to the wishlist  :-)

Agree.

>> BTW when I view therion-produced pdf files in xpdf I get this a lot:
>>  Error (181503): Name token too long
>>  Error (181523): Dictionary key must be a name object
>>
>> The rendering looks OK so far as I can see, but maybe some element is
>> missing.
>>
>> Is this an xpdf problem or something that should be fixed in therion? Do
>> you need an example file? (this was the soundriver.pdf I sent with the
>> above
>> fix in)

I'll look at this. Recently we have had problems with Acrobat reader 7.0,
which doesn't open files created on other platform (e.g. linux files on
windows) and complains that file is dameged. There is no problem with 6.0
and older versions.

>> So I've fixed all that and added some joins between the segments, and that
>> all works reasonably well, but I have a few small problems remaining:
>>

>> Line 81 in soundriver.th2 is a pillar, but I can't get it to be empty.
>> There
>> is an 'outline crosses itself' error in soundriver_pooh which I thought
>> might be affecting it, but removing that scrap makes no difference, and
>> neither does reversing the line. Why is this pillar broken?

In my file is line 81 only a segment of the wall - I can't imagine where
the pillar should be...

>> Also there are a couple of places where there are 'gaps' in the grey
>> background. The most obvious example is the large chamber in the middle is
>> soundriver2_s2 (with lots of boulders). The main chamber has a RH wall
>> which
>> is in the 'middle' of 3 walls. The rightmost wall is the RH wall of a
>> lower
>> passage, formed by the large pile of rocks in the middle separating the
>> upper
>> and lower parts for 30m or so. What is the 'therion way' to draw something
>> like this? Just use a border for the central line? Or split the lower
>> portion into a very small scrap, I suppose? And there is a similar problem
>> on the other side of the chamber (where a steep ramp goes up on the left)

The separate scrap is the best solution. The other is to split the inner
wall and set the 'outline in' option as displayed in the attached picture.

The exact rule is that each line forming the outer border of the scrap has
to have 'outline out' option (walls have this by default), each line
forming inner pillars 'outline in' option, and all other lines (even walls
lying inside of scrap) 'outline none' option. For all walls which
shouldn't form the scrap border you have to set 'outline none' option. See
the second attachment to see how to specify this.

>> BTW - I hope you looked at the scale bar and were impressed with the size
>> of
>> the passage we found  :-)  All that was found on two pretty amazing trips!

Of course we did  :)  it's really great.

Martin