[therion] problem importing .3d file

Stacho Mudrak s.m at speleo.sk
Mon Feb 7 10:03:24 CET 2005

Wookey wrote:

> OK - I'm trying to use the new import feature in 0.3.6.
> I'm not sure how the namespace hierarchy works.
>
> I have a survex dataset where everything is under terikan
> so we have major surveys
> terikan.goon
> terikan.eagle
> terikan.eagle2
> terikan.elevator
> terikan.evening
> etc
>
> The .th file looks like:
> ------
> survey tmp
> import terikan.3d
>
> survey terikan -title "Terikan River Caves" -declination [0.511 degrees]
>
>   map elevatorplan -title "Terikan River Cave: Elevator entrance"
>       goon_s3       break       goon_s1
> etc...
> input goon.th2
> input soundriver.th2
> etc...
> --------

So far everything looks OK.

> This fails with:
> reading source files ... done
> preprocessing database ... done
> therion: error -- terikan/terikan.th [3] -- station doesn't exist -- eagle2.15

... this is a bug. Import command (terikan/terikan.th [3]) should never throw such an exception. Are you able to send me some files, that generate this sort of error?

> This is odd because there is no mention of eagle2 in any of the files in
> this dir. I'm not sure why it gets mentioned. The error is referencing the
> "import" line. If I comment out everything apart from the import line then
> the processing completes without error. Adding an empty file that continas
> nothing more than  survey terikan
>  endsurvey terikan
> will make it break again (same error).
> Changing the survey name to  survey goon
>  endsurvey goon
> Processes fine.

OK - now I am guessing where the error is - I will try to find and fix it.

> Changing it to  survey goon
>   input goon.th2
>  endsurvey goon
> Now gives the error:
> therion: error -- terikan/goon.th2 [10] -- survey does not exist -- goon -- invalid station reference -- 69 at goon
> (see below)

This is OK - you are trying to reference goon survey in goon context (so in upper context it is a survey goon.goon).

> Now going back to the original file and moving the input command inside the 'survey terikan' context:
> ------
> survey terikan -title "Terikan River Caves" -declination [0.511 degrees]
> import terikan.3d
>
>   map elevatorplan -title "Terikan River Cave: Elevator entrance"
>       goon_s3   ...
> ------
>
> I get a different error, having got rather further:
> reading source files ... done
> preprocessing database ... done
> scanning centreline tree ... done
> searching for centerline loops ... done
> calculating station coordinates ... done
> calculating basic statistics ... done
> processing references ... therion: error -- terikan/goon.th2 [10] -- survey does not exist -- goon --
>   invalid station reference -- 69 at goon

Again the same error.

> This suggests that the correct level to import things is inside a survey of
> the same name as the top level of the .3d file - correct?

The correct is your first try. If you have in your .3d file all stations named terikan.*, then import terikan.3d must be outside terikan survey.

> I'm confused - how should this feature be used?
>
> Is there a bug, or am I just doing it wrong?

Yes, there is probably some bug. I will chech it.

Regards, S.