problem importing .3d file

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 04:17:18 CET 2005

OK - I'm trying to use the new import feature in 0.3.6.

I'm not sure how the namespace hierarchy works.

I have a survex dataset where everything is under terikan
so we have major surveys
terikan.goon
terikan.eagle
terikan.eagle2
terikan.elevator
terikan.evening
etc

The .th file looks like:
------
survey tmp
import terikan.3d

survey terikan -title "Terikan River Caves" -declination [0.511 degrees]

  map elevatorplan -title "Terikan River Cave: Elevator entrance"
      goon_s3
    break
      goon_s1
etc...
input goon.th2
input soundriver.th2
etc...
--------

This fails with:
reading source files ... done
preprocessing database ... done
therion: error -- terikan/terikan.th [3] -- station doesn't exist -- eagle2.15

This is odd because there is no mention of eagle2 in any of the files in
this dir. I'm not sure why it gets mentioned. The error is referencing the
"import" line. If I comment out everything apart from the import line then
the processing completes without error. Adding an empty file that continas
nothing more than
 survey terikan
 endsurvey terikan
will make it break again (same error).

Changing the survey name to
 survey goon
 endsurvey goon
Processes fine.

Changing it to
 survey goon
  input goon.th2
 endsurvey goon
Now gives the error:
therion: error -- terikan/goon.th2 [10] -- survey does not exist -- goon -- invalid station reference -- 69 at goon
(see below)

Now going back to the original file and moving the input command inside the
'survey terikan' context:
------
survey terikan -title "Terikan River Caves" -declination [0.511 degrees]
import terikan.3d

  map elevatorplan -title "Terikan River Cave: Elevator entrance"
      goon_s3
------

I get a different error, having got rather further:
reading source files ... done
preprocessing database ... done
scanning centreline tree ... done
searching for centerline loops ... done
calculating station coordinates ... done
calculating basic statistics ... done
processing references ...
therion: error -- terikan/goon.th2 [10] -- survey does not exist -- goon --
  invalid station reference -- 69 at goon

This suggests that the correct level to import things is inside a survey of
the same name as the top level of the .3d file - correct?

terikan.goon.69 is a valid station. It is the fiurst station mentioned in
the first .th2 file read in. This suggests that it hasn't been read at the
right level?

Changing to put another .th2 file first changes the error to refer to the
first station in that file instead.

I'm confused - how should this feature be used?

Is there a bug, or am I just doing it wrong?

Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK Tel +44 (0) 1223 811679
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/ play: http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/