Scale and Base-scale and font sizes

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 12:26:26 CEST 2005

+++ Martin Budaj [05-08-18 11:23 +0200]:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:10:01 +0100, Wookey wrote
> > I can see why such a scale is a problem in map mode (page larger
> > than PDF can manage), but in atlas mode the page size is limited to
> > A4 (or whatever) - so why can I not print an atlas (with a lot of
> > sheets) showing the system in high detail? Is it a fundamental
> > problem of the way the PDFs are generated or can it be fixed?
>
> An additional limitation is the size of a picture, which can metapost process
> -- it's about 2.8 m. Each scrap is processed separately in one picture, so it
> means, that each scrap must be smaller than 2.8 * 2.8 m _in the output scale_.
> I don't think it's a big issue unless you try to draw the whole cave in one
> scrap. (At 1:100 scale a scrap can contain 280*280 m section of the cave).

Hmm, so as it goes wrong with the default (scale 1:200) that suggets I have
one scrap which is >560m long. I don't think I do have anything that big (I
try to keep scraps to <200m).

If anyone cares to investigate this then the benarat dataset illustrates the
problem.

Wookey