Wishlist - colouring control improvements

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 19:13:38 CEST 2005

I discivered the colouring features because Jenny Black used them, and they
hare in one of the example files. Very nice indeed. But of course I am not
satisfied with what I am given :-)

Colour scrap by altitude is nice but the abrubt joins can look nasty in the
middle of wide, nominally horizontal passage.  It works really well in the
'soundriver' area where there are nicely-merging shades of green, but
nastily in other some other areas. Some way to graduate the join a bit would
make it look a lot nicer. Or apply more detailed colour control to a scrap
like 'nearly the same as neighbour scrapname'.

Also my users have complained that the colours are 'too random and garish'
and I am inclined to agree. They like the depth colouring in Aven, so could
we try to use the same gradient colours?

Probably what is really needed is a way to specify the colour set/gradient,
and proably a way to specify it for individula scraps too. Perhaps I already
can?

In colour by map there should be some way to allocate colours to maps. This
is particularly necessary where you have sloping levels - you would want to
make one level one colour but the altitude will vary a lot. Making one level
into one map should fix this, but I would want to be able to set the colours
for a level. At the moment if you add a new map suddenly the colours will
all change round - this would be a problem when doing an update for next
year, when users might expect caves (maps) to retain old colours.

I think the colouring is a major step forward, but some more detailed
control is needed. There are a lot of ways this could be done and input for
others is welcome.

Also having blue water would make a lot of sense for water areas, streamflow
arrows etc.

Wookey