Help - my cave is inside-out

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Tue Dec 28 00:59:27 CET 2004

+++ Martin Budaj [04-12-26 13:06 +0100]:

Sorry to keep asking the group questions but I'm stuck again.

I've updated the files online. I've added the scrap  containing the
underlying streamway. As soon as I add the underlying scrap and process I
get :
therion: error -- metapost exit code -- 256
This appears to be due to "! Paths 4 and 3 don't intersect."
But I have 5 aras in this scrap - how on earth do I work out which one is at
fault? The area 'show' button doesn't seem to work - is that a clue?

The odd thing is that that scrap did appearonce but I had a mislabelled
station in it so it was tiny and in one corner. After I fixed that it seemed
broken.

Also I'm extrememly annoyed because I drew a load of another scrap but lost
it somehow. It's the oldproblem of having files open in therion and another
editor. But So far as I can tell I need to open it in another editor in order
to edit the names of scraps. (as you say - calling them <filename>_sn is a
good idea.) Having a .th2 file open in both the text and map editors seems
to work OK, but I can't find any info on how to search in the text editor?
So I use an editor i can search in.

I tried to make sure I always closed a file in the map editor before editing
it extrenally but something went wrong and a whole scrap disappeared  :-(
Given how long they take to draw in therion, we need to make sure this is
not possible to do accidentally by checking timestamps.

The 'command preview' window looks like it ought to let you edit commands,
but it doesn't. It this worked and/or there was a 'search' option in the
text editor then external editing would not be necessary.

Ah - maybe I need to use the 'scrap control' section.

On the good side I've discovered the 'move to' button which is brilliant.

And the red entriesin the error window which takes you to the offending item
in the mapeditor is really useful, although it doesn't work for metapost
'don't intersect' errors. where '(mptextmp.mp) [5]' is highlighted in red
but clicking on it just gives an error saying it can't load it.

I'm making a list of things I think we need to add shortcuts for. I'll post
that soon.

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK Tel +44 (0) 1223 811679
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/ play: http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/