[therion-users] How do all the metapost parts fit together.

Michael Lake mikel at speleonics.com.au
Sat Sep 6 14:56:29 CEST 2003

I can see that therion.mp defines MetaPost macros and things like .

I see that thPoint.mp contains...

% @DESCRIPTION
% <H4>Survey stations:</H4>

% @SYMBOL
% thFixedstation_ASF --
%
% @PREVIEW
%
% thFixedstation_ASF((.5,.5) inscale);

def p_station_fixed_ASF (expr pos)=
     T:=identity shifted pos;
     pickup PenD;
     pair z;
     z:=(0,.2u);
     thclean z -- (z rotated 120) -- (z rotated 240) -- cycle;
     thdraw z -- (z rotated 120) -- (z rotated 240) -- cycle;
     thdraw origin;
enddef;

and that thdraw is defined in mpost/therion.mp which I think is
generated from thmpost.h which is generated from your RCS system. I am
trying to work out how this all fits together.

I gather then that you have some scripts that will generate HTML from
the file and that the HTML can document the available symbols. Am I
guessing right? Like the ASF symbol for a fixed station.

What would be nice would be to generate automatically a PDF doc that has
the name of the UIS symbol and it's picture i.e. run a script that
processes the mp fragments, extracts the name and desription, creates
the eps files and then runs pdflatex to make a table of all the UIS
symbols listed alphabetically or by type of symbol.

The reason why I am trying t fit it together is so I can do things like
make my own symbols -- well even help you make the many other UIS
symbols that arent in therion yet too. I dont know much metapost but can
learn. It appears at present that to add new symbols one must add the mp
code and then recompile.

Also I see you need help with writing some sections in the manual - like
the section "New map symbols".

Mike
--
Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.