[therion-users] Re: therion does a seg fault when I try and run it

Michael Lake mikel at speleonics.com.au
Sun Aug 31 05:13:49 CEST 2003

Wookey wrote in reply to Mikes question:
>>What suggestions now to debug this? I am keen to get this working on
>>both PPC and Alpha.
>
> Run it under strace to see where it actually dies. Look at the code giving
> the char/unsigned char warnings - that's very likely to break something and
> is suggestive of 'x86isms' in the code.

I have one strace output as its small (trace1.txt, 3.5k) for 'therion -v'.
The other strace (trace2.txt , 100k) is up on my website and its from
'therion' running in the therion supplied demo directory.
http://www.speleonics.com.au/mikes/trace2.txt

I havent used strace before but I see these errors:
open("/etc/ld.so.preload", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

I have /etc/ld.so.cache but no ld.so.preload

I see that here its writing the wrong string to output (stdout) 1 but
the correct version number to output 3 (therion.log)

write(1, "therion gduxs:l:qLvhip:", 23) = 23
write(1, "\n", 1)                       = 1
write(3, "therion 0.2.15\n", 15)        = 15

and indeed therion.log does say "therion 0.2.15"

I presume its best to debug first the simple :therion -v" rather than
the therion running the data set in demo.

Mike
--
Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.