<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:DontUseAdvancedTypographyReadingMail/>
<w:DontUseJustificationAdvancedTypographyReadingMail/>
<w:DontUseHyphenationAdvancedTypographyReadingMail/>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Aptos;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0mm;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=EN-NZ link=blue vlink=purple style='word-wrap:break-word'><div class=WordSection1><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Good morning<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Thank you Martin<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Using Therion 6.4.0 + debae9b<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>I have moved to luatex and some initial tests on a single 74 km project suggest it works well.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>I played with various permutations of debug station-names and maps on/off.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Compile times are maybe 3% longer that with pdftex, but that is within the variation observed if I make no changes at all.  So speed variation is of no consequence.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>The exported pdf file sizes are no different and the time taken to open the pdfs (36 s for the largest at 135 MB) does not change between tex and luatex.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>The issue I had with png images on </span>67248d35 <span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>using luatex has been resolved.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Recently I mentioned that ‘maps off’ significantly increases compile time. In working through the above tests I came across a note I made in one of my thconfig files in June 2019.   It mentions that ‘maps off’ significantly increases compile time and pdf file size.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>However now I can confirm that debae9b compile times do not vary appreciably with variations in maps on/off or between tex/luatex.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Maps on/off does affect pdf file sizes, but at the moment I have examples where it is trivial and others where it might be that maps off results in a significant increase, but the examples I have are not definitive.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Overall, luatex is working well with debae9b.  I’ll stick with it.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Bruce<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><blockquote style='border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0mm 0mm 0mm 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0mm'><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p></blockquote></div></body></html>